Thursday, March 09, 2006

Top 5 Cowbell Songs


As requested, I will now give you my top 5 cowbell songs. I have to tell you that this is the hardest list I have had to come up with! There are thousands of songs that feature the cowbell, a hundred I can list off the top of my head, but I was struggling enough trying to come up with the obligatory five. I picked these because, not only are they great songs, but the cowbell seems to get everybody listening (even non-percussionists) playing the "airbell"!
In NO particular order:






- 'Don't Fear The Reaper' by Blue Oyster Cult
OK, let me get the one out of the way that everyone knew I would post. IN MY DEFENSE..... I always thought the song had cowbell overkill, but when SNL made it famous, I now appreciate it more and can tolerate the overused cowbell. It is now more humorous than annoying! The honors of this task go to lead singer Eric Bloom. There was no "Gene Frenkel" who played the cowbell in this song in 1976 (or latter dates for that matter), and the drummer did not take this duty during recording.






- 'We're Not Gonna Take It' by Twisted Sister
This song starts off with the cowbell leading a catchy and infectious beat to introduce the angry anthem. The song started off in 1984 causing much controversy due to the fact lead singer, Dee Snider, dressed the way he did. OK people of the 80's, did you not notice the rest of the band??? OK, anyway, this song QUICKLY became a national hit and a staple on MTV, and remained an anthem for kids and young adults. Cowbell honors go to the drummer: A.J. Pero






- 'Rock Lobster' by The B-52's
WHIPPING of a song. OK, I'm old so I kinda dig it. I REALLY Love the version done by Dallas Metal band Dead Horse! Anyway, immediately following the hook and signature guitar line, in comes the cowbell with an eight beat to begin the verses of the songs. It's greatness, as he continues throughout the song adding cowbell in all the right places! Cowbell honors go to metro lead singer Fred Schneider.






- 'Low Rider' by War
A Rock Classic. Another American Anthem. An American Icon. It's Low Rider. A song that not a single biker can snarl at. A song that can get anyone's adrenaline pumping, and any rider itching to ride. This song starts out with an entire 2 measures of cowbell BY ITSELF! The cowbell continues throughout the entire song keeping in time, but playing an awkward beat nonetheless. The drums/percussion and horn section of this tune are equally amazing. Cowbell player: Papa Dee Allen (which may be wrong. War was a group often shuffling members, all of which played percussion.)






- 'Gimmie Three Steps' by Lynyrd Skynyrd
Another great classic rock tune, Gimmie Three Steps is more than likely the third most popular Skynyrd tune next to Sweet Home and Free Bird. The cowbell is keeping a steady pace throughout the introduction of the song, and often times in public I can see people playing that 'airbell'! This is a song Amity Road used to cover, and we basically learned it so we can play a song with the cowbell, just for our bud Steve. If that's not true, then nobody tell me, please (Joe). Anyway, drummer Artimus Pyle played the great instrument on this tune!




Like I mentioned... The cowbell is found in thousands of different songs, all of rock, Latin, jazz, blues, country, R&B...... the list goes on. If you would like to comment on this and lay down some more tunes, I encourage it! Thanks!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The cowbell is the make or break for all songs. Music execs take notice here and now, "We need more cowbell!"

8:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great list... But i'd like to give you mine. A little more obscure, but great songs nevertheless.
#1: Rainbow - Still I'm sad. (Killer Cowbell)
#2: Yesca (Cheech & Chong)- Lost due to incompetence.
#3: UFO - Let it roll.
#4: Kiss - Love theme from Kiss.
#5: Rush - In the mood

10:04 PM  
Blogger kory said...

You are correct my good man...cowbell IS found is thousands of songs. Check out my site that features 2100+ songs!

www.ultimatecowbell.com

7:34 PM  
Blogger kory said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

7:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home