Happy Gold Digger's Day!!

Am I talking about women? Of course NOT. Men? Nope. The Gold Diggers I am referring to is CORPORATE AMERICA. So... Valentine's Day was created for "lovers", or it was created for people who love each other to express their love for one another by buying flowers, candy, stuffed animals, etc. Since I can remember, this day has been nothing more than a holiday for retail outlets. Florists of course, jewelers, confectioners, candy makers, lingerie outlets, blah, blah, blah. Folks... Do we not love each other 364 other days a year? Is gift giving limited only to today, Christmas and birthdays? OK... I have been guilty of buying gifts for Valentine's Day a number of times. But guess what people? I do it ALL YEAR LONG. It just makes me sick to see people come in to AUTO ZONE of all places, or to a florist or wherever, with the complete look of obligation smeared on their faces. Why? Is your wife/husband going to kick you to the curb, or make you sleep on the couch? Is your fiancee going to cancel the wedding? Is your boy/girlfriend going to dump you for the bigger, better deal??
If you are with someone who 'expects' a Valentine's gift, my only advice to you is MOVE ON. Give your significant other a gift today because you feel like it, or because he/she deserves it, or because it's your day of every month that you do said activity. Don't live today out of obligation. Corporate America FEEDS off of you people, and they know they can. Why? BECAUSE THEY ARE ABSOLUTELY RIGHT! Go to the store on MARCH 14th and price the very same bouquet of flowers you bought today (or this week). Do the same with lingerie, jewelry, all of that stuff. You will see my point (one of several I wont waste your time on right now)
The person I refer to as my 'significant other' lives 300 miles away. We're not dating, we're not boyfriend/girlfriend or any other stereotype like that. She's my soulmate, and I have known her for 16 years. What did I do for today's corporate holiday? Nothing. She called me this morning and said 'Hi'. I called her moments before I started writing this and said 'Hi' again. I DID, however, send her some Tulips yesterday. 13 is a lucky number for me, and I sent them for these reasons:
1. They are her favorite flower
2. She DESERVES them (at the very least)
3. Some were pink... Her favorite color.
4. I just wanted to make her smile and let her know I was thinking about her.
My card did not say 'Happy Valentine's Day' (unless it was pre-printed on there). I dunno... Had to do it online. But my message simply stated I appreciate her.
Folks, if you and yours celebrate today for good reasons, then God bless all of you. If you are rushing home right now for a dozen roses for your wife just for the sake of the day, then I am sorry for you. You probably think that this will get you by, but OK, whatever. Does love suck? NO WAY! We are nothing without it. I Love Love! Love is Greatness... For the right reasons. For the right feelings. Let me ask you this... When's your anniversary?
How long did THAT take you?
Merry Christmas everyone, and a Happy Rest Of The Year to you.
Here's to YOU Corporate America:

1 Comments:
Thanks Tiff! You're the best! Love you mucho. :)
Post a Comment
<< Home