Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Did You Call Me A Mama's Boy??


Well, it's OK if you did... Because I AM! No shame in that game folks... This is a post to everyone who is close with their Mother, who isn't close with their Mother, who does not know their Mother... It's called MOM.

My parents were divorced when I was a mere two years of age. My Mother obtained custody of me, and raised me, SINGLE, for my entire childhood. She was eventually re-married (still is) to a GREAT man, who I call Dad. That's beside the point. Let me praise the woman I call Mom for she deserves it. QUICK PREFACE: This is not to "rub in" anything to anyone who is not close to their mother or even knows their mother. Said people, I KNOW, have someone in their life they consider a mother figure, albeit biological or otherwise.

I have very many memories of Mom and I. Ever since I can obtain a memory, I remember getting mad at Mom because she wouldn't let me play with my friends at times, wouldn't let me 'go out' with my friends in the latter years at times, administered a curfew on me, which at the time I thought was unfair... Everyone knows what I am referring to. But you know what? I am 31 years old now, and a lot of times I still wish I had those rules to live by. Imagine how rich I would be! Imagine how much sleep I would still get! Anyway... It's funny how we all get mad at Mom because of those reasons, but later in life thank her for being somewhat strict with us, isn't it?

Bad memories are few, as Mom and I always got along. I use the term 'bad' extremely loosely, by the way. My mother has taken me to Cancun, Mexico... FOUR TIMES. She has taken me to Hawaii, Disney World, Disneyland, Wrigley Field and the rest of Chi Town, Hollywood, Epcot, Orlando, The Mulberry Bish, Nashville, Phoenix, the list goes on folks... She has shown me the USA and all of it's glory. All of which she could not show me, she taught me and gave me the desire to go and visit, learn, take my kids there (which haven't arrived yet). A lot of times she allowed parties at the house, whether she was there or not (:ahem:: whether she knew about them or not!), she has allowed me an unbelievable freedom when I was growing up, and because of her enormous amounts of help, a great amount of freedom as an adult as well.

I can make this blog six miles long naming everything my Mother has done for me, and what HER mother has done for both me and her..... But I am sure you get the point.

Until early 2000, my Mother lived in Carrollton Tx with my step father. I always took for granted the friend I had just a few miles away, whenever I missed her, whenever I wanted to talk, whenever I wanted to get drunk with Mom (it's happened!), whenever I didn't have a reason.... She was always "down the street". As work would have it, it moved her to the west coast, and then eventually the Rockies. NOW, if I wanna see my Mama, I have to save up money for gas or a plane ticket, or wait for the holidays or anytime she has a few days to make it to Texas.

I am reaching out to all of my readers, and I know there are a LOT of you (unless one of you visits 100 times a day!): If your Mom is still in the same dwelling, if she is "down the street", if she lives in Timbuktu, whatever the case may be... I want everyone to call their mom today or tomorrow. Tell her how much you love them and appreciate them. Tell them in a card that you appreciate the person she has helped you become today. Like I mentioned before... It doesn't matter if she's your biological mother or not. We all have a mother figure in our lives. Mine is fortunately the same one who gave birth to me (Mom, you were kidding about me being adopted right?)!

Give Mom a call. Tell her you love her. You NEVER KNOW what tomorrow brings.

I love you Mom. Thanks for my life!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, I have to say I cried because I'd love to be able to call my mom today and tell her how much I love her, but, as we all know, she isn't available to take phone calls.... So I think I'll call YOUR mom and tell her how much she means to me! And by the way, how in the world did she take you to Hawaii under MY radar??? I've never been there, and I'm willing to bet Gram-Gram went along..... there is something fishy going on here....

7:59 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Ooohhhh... Kim was called out!! Hey Joe, thatnks for the kind words my friend. Hawaii is definately in my Top 5 list of all time memories as well. As far as GG is concerned, nelieve me, I wish she was a phone call away. It would make life easier for a lot of us. Thus is the reason for my blog. It wasn't because my Mom suggested something about the importance of talking to your Mom, but I think the importance for any mother to know she's loved and appreciated. Whether she's here or gone, biological or not, or if the little ones are very young... all Moms are a blessing!

3:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home