Thursday, March 16, 2006

Huskies All The Way


With the NCAA Tournament starting, I have been watching as much (which isn't saying much) basketball as I can. I have seen lots of GREAT teams, lots of POOR teams, and lots of Buccaneers style teams (you know, the kind that seem to win with luck). March Madness is awesome. I love to see the camaraderie in all of the bars, next to the water cooler, at home with families with strong family ties to some of these schools. It brings anyone's adrenaline forth and makes you wish you played or had played for one or more of these teams!


I want to start by talking about a man named Hilton Armstrong. He is a Husky defense man, not to mention this year's Big East Defensive Player Of The Year, and one helluva basketball player. I remember watching snippets of a game a couple of weeks ago when the Huskies were playing Louisville. I don't recall which team won (I had to stop watching during third quarter), but I remember watching Armstrong run up and down that court, obtaining at least 4 blocks (or should I say STUFFS)! He also had a few boards and buckets that I saw, but my point is, he's good. He is REALLY good, and I hope he becomes a Maverick (I wont hold my breath). They could use a good seven footer!


Another player who has made up my mind about the Huskies is Rudy Gay. Again, I haven't been able to watch as much as I would have liked, but what I have seen, and what I have read the next day convinces me this sophomore is true to my opinion: great to watch. Go ahead and make fun of his name, I'm sure you'll have no fear facing this 6' 9" giant and doing said action, would ya? Of course not... He would just stuff you like he does many of his opponents that I have seen! He's quick, he's agile, he's huge, and most importantly... He can shoot. GOOD ball control and passing skills as well.

Other players that are equally impressive are Marcus Johnson, Josh Boone (another giant) and Jeff Adrian. These guys really impress me with their skills. This team reminds me a lot of the 1987-88 Los Angeles Lakers, equally so, their nemesis in the Finals that year, the Detroit Pistons. I see a lot of talent in this Husky team, a lot of struggling, but always seem to prevail. I really like this team. Much thanks to my roommate Steve G for introducing me to Huskies basketball years ago. They are truly s great team to watch, and most of that has to do with:


Big Jim Calhoun. Huskies coach for more than 20 years, this man knows basketball. I got to watch a "behind the scenes" kind of deal last night on ESPN (really late night) and it was about the Huskies. I was watching and analyzing the interview segments with Calhoun, and I was literally beside myself listening to how he teaches his players, lives his life and treats everyone on the team, in the school, in his family. He seems like a really great person. But moreover, his coaching abilities... WOW. Look at where UConn has been since he has coached there: TWO NCAA National Championships, an NIT Championship and FIFTEEN BIG EAST Conference titles. How much more convincing do you need?

Going back to the 87-88 Lakers comparison. There's more to that comparison than just Kareem, Magic and Worthy. I am also comparing what they went through to earn that title. It took all seven games to beat the Pistons. Prior to that, it took all seven games to beat the Mavericks. Prior to that, it took all seven games to beat the Jazz. It wasn't easy, but it was proven that they were a good enough team to get the job done. Such is the case with UConn. They will have to face several other GREAT teams along the way in this years brackets: Duke, Kansas, Villanova, Florida, UCLA, Carolina and Boston College. It will be a tough road, plenty of struggles, but I believe the Huskies will prevail.

I believe their first game is against Albany tomorrow night. I will be watching that one somewhere, and I will give you a full report the day after (or maybe Sunday)!

GO HUSKIES!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love UCONN. Each and every year they somehow manage to replace the talent that goes off to the pros.

2:12 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Sweet Toaster! I can do it! Hey Smelly Finger... I agree with you 100%! Good call! Good name too by the way!
Peace.

10:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home