Bless The Broken Road
(Warning: LONG POST!)
No... This is not a post about a great song. This is a post about living your dream, never giving up, always staying true to yourself. What the hell am I talking about? I'm talking about how everyone on this planet has a soulmate. Everyone, whether they know them or not, should never give up the search until that destination is reached. I am talking about the faith of never giving up restored in me by one individual. I am talking about Tiffany. For respect of her, I will not disclose her last name or post her picture on this story until she is comfortable with said action. For those of you who don't know who I am referring to when I say Tiffany, then this is the story you want to read.

In Gainesville Texas, there is a place called Camp Sweeney. This camp was made for children from the ages of 6 to 18 who have been stricken with diabetes. I started going to this camp in 1985 when I was still 10 years old. I hated it at first, much like most of the campers their first year, but quickly learned to love it. I always went to the second of three sessions, all of which were three weeks long. Over the years, same session, I made a lot of friends. We were all considered regulars by 1988, and if one didn't show that year, it was panic until we knew why! My whole life changed in 1991, my seventh year (coincidence? 7 is my lucky number.). I showed up to camp, said hello to all of my friends and proceeded to check in. Later that afternoon is when I saw Tiffany for the first time. "Wow" is all I can remember thinking. She was this cute little brunette with brown eyes, all of 5 foot 3. She was beautiful in my eyes. Long story short, (shut up with the "too lates") I chased her for three weeks all over that camp ground, and she spent three weeks building up those great legs running from me! We spent three years together at that camp, for three weeks at a time. I considered her, for lack of a better description, my camp girlfriend. We did manage to maintain contact briefly after each session ended, but not for long. She was a San Antonio resident, I lived in Dallas. We always knew we'd see each other the next year. One of the best memories about those days I can think of, camp dances. NOT. These were pure whippings. However, Tiffany and I did have a "song": 'Everything I Do...' by Bryan Adams. It was good for me because each year in the "offseason", I thought of her when I heard the song. After my 9th run at Sweeneyland, it was time for me to retire. No more camp for me. I was sad. VERY SAD!

I went to college the next year locally, and I think I spoke to Tiffany a few times that year, I might have even seen her once, but it wasn't until the summer of 1994, when I moved to San Marcos for school, that I talked to her again. She still lived in the area, so my immediate thought was "get a hold of Tiffany and try again". I got a hold of her, we tried again (for lack of a better term), and nothing could work. We no doubt liked each other and we liked being around each other, but because of my schedule, and hers, it never worked. I returned home after one lousy year at SWT, and went on about my life, I didn't speak to Tiff any more. Not at least for a decade!

For ten years, I ran wild, moved a lot, never once settled down. I never had a home phone in my name, so it was impossible to get a hold of me unless you had my cell number. Tons of memorable things happened in those ten years, some better than others of course. I was engaged. TWICE! One of my best friends and mentors, Gram Gram, passed away. My other best friend and mentor, Mom, moved to California, then to Colorado! I met a lot of people, made a lot of friends that I still have today. I can go on and on, but my point is this: Not once did I ever forget about Tiffany. I always had a small token of her to remind me she was out there somewhere. After several years, I tried to look for her. No luck.

Fast forward to 2005. I was sitting there at work, no business at the moment, no paperwork left to do. Phone rings, I answer in my regular monotoned way of answering business phones. "Car **** *****, this is Beaker, can I help you?"
Caller: "Jamie?"
Me: "Um, Yes?"
Caller: "This is Tiffany"
Me: "Ok....."
Caller: "Tiffany, from Camp Sweeney"
Me: "HOLY SHIT!"
You get the point. Tiffany found me. It was later explained to me that she had been looking for me for quite some time. She even lived in my neck of the woods for several years! She had a lot happen in those ten years as well. Who in the world wouldn't, right? I wont get into telling you about her life, because once again, that would be disrespectful to her. Just understand, she's doing well, and has no complaints! After talking to her for a few weeks, I started to get those feelings that I had way back when, and quite frankly, I didn't want them. It had nothing at all to do with Tiffany. It had to do with my own fear of feeling so strongly about that same someone I could do nothing about. Know what I mean? I ignored Tiffany like a chicken shit jack ass for a length of time, came to my senses and realized what a blessing it was that she found me. Who care how I felt? This is a longtime friend of mine that deserves so much better than that.
I called Tiffany, we talked off and on for several weeks, when we finally agreed to see each other. Believe me folks, I wasn't the only nervous party!

When I heard that knock on the front door, my heart stopped. I opened it up, and there she stood. About a MILLION things rushed through my mind and body for about one second, then I grabbed her and hugged her like I just got out of prison! The feelings were there, just like I was afraid of. I was never happier about that! She looked just as beautiful as I ever dreamt. We talked, hung out for a night, caught up for a day, she left. Wow. It was amazing. No nervousness the entire trip. The best way I can explain this: It's like God pushed "pause" on his Jamie Tiffany VCR back then, then pushed "Play" that Saturday night! It was so awesome!
Now we talk on a daily basis. Our feelings for each other are fairly mutual, from what I can tell. We still love each other! That's a relief!! Kidding, anyway.. If God allows, then we will be together one day. She is still in San Antonio, I am still in the Dallas area. There is no telling what might/might not happen, but for now, we live it day by day. There's a little Angel in her life now to think about, and I absolutely adore her!
The point of this post: Don't ever give up on your dreams, don't ever give up on searching for that certain someone or something you want to see again. It is all worth it my friends. All of it. Tiffany listened to a song on the way up here and thought it was a very good match for the two of us. Any guesses? Yeah, it has been a long story. Bless The Broken Road by Rascal Flatts. I end this post with the lyrics. I love you Tiffany!

I set out on a narrow way many years ago
Hoping I would find true love along the broken road
But I got lost a time or two
Wiped my brow and kept pushing through
I couldn't see how every sign pointed straight to you
Every long lost dream lead me to where you are
Others who broke my heart they were like northern stars
Pointing me on my way into your loving arms
This much I know is true
That God blessed the broken road
That led me straight to you
I think about the years I spent just passing through
I'd like to have the time I lost and give it back to you
But you just smile and take my hand
You've been there you understand
It's all part of a grander plan that is coming true
Every long lost dream lead me to where you are
Others who broke my heart they were like northern stars
Pointing me on my way into your loving arms
This much I know is true
That God blessed the broken road
That led me straight to you
No... This is not a post about a great song. This is a post about living your dream, never giving up, always staying true to yourself. What the hell am I talking about? I'm talking about how everyone on this planet has a soulmate. Everyone, whether they know them or not, should never give up the search until that destination is reached. I am talking about the faith of never giving up restored in me by one individual. I am talking about Tiffany. For respect of her, I will not disclose her last name or post her picture on this story until she is comfortable with said action. For those of you who don't know who I am referring to when I say Tiffany, then this is the story you want to read.

In Gainesville Texas, there is a place called Camp Sweeney. This camp was made for children from the ages of 6 to 18 who have been stricken with diabetes. I started going to this camp in 1985 when I was still 10 years old. I hated it at first, much like most of the campers their first year, but quickly learned to love it. I always went to the second of three sessions, all of which were three weeks long. Over the years, same session, I made a lot of friends. We were all considered regulars by 1988, and if one didn't show that year, it was panic until we knew why! My whole life changed in 1991, my seventh year (coincidence? 7 is my lucky number.). I showed up to camp, said hello to all of my friends and proceeded to check in. Later that afternoon is when I saw Tiffany for the first time. "Wow" is all I can remember thinking. She was this cute little brunette with brown eyes, all of 5 foot 3. She was beautiful in my eyes. Long story short, (shut up with the "too lates") I chased her for three weeks all over that camp ground, and she spent three weeks building up those great legs running from me! We spent three years together at that camp, for three weeks at a time. I considered her, for lack of a better description, my camp girlfriend. We did manage to maintain contact briefly after each session ended, but not for long. She was a San Antonio resident, I lived in Dallas. We always knew we'd see each other the next year. One of the best memories about those days I can think of, camp dances. NOT. These were pure whippings. However, Tiffany and I did have a "song": 'Everything I Do...' by Bryan Adams. It was good for me because each year in the "offseason", I thought of her when I heard the song. After my 9th run at Sweeneyland, it was time for me to retire. No more camp for me. I was sad. VERY SAD!

I went to college the next year locally, and I think I spoke to Tiffany a few times that year, I might have even seen her once, but it wasn't until the summer of 1994, when I moved to San Marcos for school, that I talked to her again. She still lived in the area, so my immediate thought was "get a hold of Tiffany and try again". I got a hold of her, we tried again (for lack of a better term), and nothing could work. We no doubt liked each other and we liked being around each other, but because of my schedule, and hers, it never worked. I returned home after one lousy year at SWT, and went on about my life, I didn't speak to Tiff any more. Not at least for a decade!

For ten years, I ran wild, moved a lot, never once settled down. I never had a home phone in my name, so it was impossible to get a hold of me unless you had my cell number. Tons of memorable things happened in those ten years, some better than others of course. I was engaged. TWICE! One of my best friends and mentors, Gram Gram, passed away. My other best friend and mentor, Mom, moved to California, then to Colorado! I met a lot of people, made a lot of friends that I still have today. I can go on and on, but my point is this: Not once did I ever forget about Tiffany. I always had a small token of her to remind me she was out there somewhere. After several years, I tried to look for her. No luck.

Fast forward to 2005. I was sitting there at work, no business at the moment, no paperwork left to do. Phone rings, I answer in my regular monotoned way of answering business phones. "Car **** *****, this is Beaker, can I help you?"
Caller: "Jamie?"
Me: "Um, Yes?"
Caller: "This is Tiffany"
Me: "Ok....."
Caller: "Tiffany, from Camp Sweeney"
Me: "HOLY SHIT!"
You get the point. Tiffany found me. It was later explained to me that she had been looking for me for quite some time. She even lived in my neck of the woods for several years! She had a lot happen in those ten years as well. Who in the world wouldn't, right? I wont get into telling you about her life, because once again, that would be disrespectful to her. Just understand, she's doing well, and has no complaints! After talking to her for a few weeks, I started to get those feelings that I had way back when, and quite frankly, I didn't want them. It had nothing at all to do with Tiffany. It had to do with my own fear of feeling so strongly about that same someone I could do nothing about. Know what I mean? I ignored Tiffany like a chicken shit jack ass for a length of time, came to my senses and realized what a blessing it was that she found me. Who care how I felt? This is a longtime friend of mine that deserves so much better than that.
I called Tiffany, we talked off and on for several weeks, when we finally agreed to see each other. Believe me folks, I wasn't the only nervous party!

When I heard that knock on the front door, my heart stopped. I opened it up, and there she stood. About a MILLION things rushed through my mind and body for about one second, then I grabbed her and hugged her like I just got out of prison! The feelings were there, just like I was afraid of. I was never happier about that! She looked just as beautiful as I ever dreamt. We talked, hung out for a night, caught up for a day, she left. Wow. It was amazing. No nervousness the entire trip. The best way I can explain this: It's like God pushed "pause" on his Jamie Tiffany VCR back then, then pushed "Play" that Saturday night! It was so awesome!
Now we talk on a daily basis. Our feelings for each other are fairly mutual, from what I can tell. We still love each other! That's a relief!! Kidding, anyway.. If God allows, then we will be together one day. She is still in San Antonio, I am still in the Dallas area. There is no telling what might/might not happen, but for now, we live it day by day. There's a little Angel in her life now to think about, and I absolutely adore her!
The point of this post: Don't ever give up on your dreams, don't ever give up on searching for that certain someone or something you want to see again. It is all worth it my friends. All of it. Tiffany listened to a song on the way up here and thought it was a very good match for the two of us. Any guesses? Yeah, it has been a long story. Bless The Broken Road by Rascal Flatts. I end this post with the lyrics. I love you Tiffany!

I set out on a narrow way many years ago
Hoping I would find true love along the broken road
But I got lost a time or two
Wiped my brow and kept pushing through
I couldn't see how every sign pointed straight to you
Every long lost dream lead me to where you are
Others who broke my heart they were like northern stars
Pointing me on my way into your loving arms
This much I know is true
That God blessed the broken road
That led me straight to you
I think about the years I spent just passing through
I'd like to have the time I lost and give it back to you
But you just smile and take my hand
You've been there you understand
It's all part of a grander plan that is coming true
Every long lost dream lead me to where you are
Others who broke my heart they were like northern stars
Pointing me on my way into your loving arms
This much I know is true
That God blessed the broken road
That led me straight to you

1 Comments:
You're welcome Baby. I love you!
Post a Comment
<< Home