Saturday, January 28, 2006

Top 5 GramGram-isms



For those who don't know, Gram Gram was my grandmother until January of 2000, and has since been my guardian angel. A lot of my friends were fortunate enough to meet GG, and those who did will certainly never forget her. What are GramGramism's?? This woman had an answer for anything. She was very wise in the ways of the world, and sometimes did not make a lot of sense... At least that's what we thought! I can list at least 20 off the top of my head, but we will stick to the "5 rule". OK, in order of my preference, here we go:

5. "DON'T SWEAT THE SMALL STUFF"
Everyone in the family seem to always rely on GG for a good ear, and often good advice. We would often get advice preceded by these words, and it never failed. OK, sometimes it took longer to reach a compromise with our demons, but it always helped eventually. None of us knew why, but GG knew everything.

4. "I FEEL LIKE HELL AND I RESENT YOUR ASKING!"
LOL... Just thinking about it makes me laugh! Often, when we went shopping or just out to eat, or something similar... That would be her response to "Hi, How are you?". Most of the time, the question asker would giggle, but look twice because they were not sure if she we're being serious or not! Once they saw her smiling, it put them at ease right away.

3. "EVERYTHING HAPPENS FOR A REASON, EVEN IF WE DON'T KNOW WHAT IT IS"
Another overused cliche to most people, but a very reliable one for our family. Whenever GG said it, it always meant something different. It's as if she already knew what the outcome would be, whatever the situation was, but never let on as to what to do about it! Whenever she told one of us that, we always knew it would work out for the best. Today, a lot of us still live by those words.

2. "I DON'T MIND IF YOU BURST INTO FLAMES!"
This was her response to anyone asking the question: "Do You Mind If I Smoke?"
This woman was hilarious! I am sure, as I sit here at my Aunt Kim's house with her and my Mother, we can easily compile a top 100 list for you in a matter of an hour or less. Sad thing is, you wouldn't understand half of it unless you have met her at least once!

And now, for my all time favorite GGism, one of which that I delivered at her funeral in my eulogy. It is the politically correct way to say Up a shit creek without a paddle. Here you go:

1. "UP THE PROVERBIAL STREAM OF EXCRETION IN A MARINE VESSEL WITHOUT VISIBLE MEANS OF PROPULSION"
I don't even need to comment on that! Except for this: Can you see this rattled off out of nowhere without ever skipping a beat? It happened every once and a while around the dinner table or while playing Scrabble!

Anyway, there you have it. I know everyone reading has a Grandma they think is special, and I am sure you can come up with your own 'Ism's' in a matter of minutes as well.... So, thank you for enjoying mine! Next top 5 list will come Wed or Thurs!

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

LOL... well, it's actually been 6!

4:50 PM  
Blogger Paul V said...

Yeah I GramGram was the best!

8:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been following a site now for almost 2 years and I have found it to be both reliable and profitable. They post daily and their stock trades have been beating
the indexes easily.

Take a look at Wallstreetwinnersonline.com

RickJ

5:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home