Monday, September 12, 2005

What's In The Water in University Park??

Some call it the biggest win since they returned from their death penalty in 1989. Some call it luck. Some call it a misfortune. It all depends on who you ask.

Last weekend, TCU upset OU in a huge win that nobody thought was possible. Because of that buzz, a lot of people didn't think SMU stood a chance against TCU. You could even hear that shade of doubt in Phil Bennet's voice during a recent Ticket interview. All of that was demolished in Saturday's game when the SMU Mustangs beat the TCU Horned Frogs 21-10.

Allen running back DeMyron Martin rushed for 118 yards, scoring 2 touchdowns, and receiving a third TD. Where was he when SMU played Baylor??? I hope he's present, as I am sure he will be, next week against A&M. Safety Jamey Harper snagged two picks from TCU's quarterback and QB Jared Romo (might as well be another fullback) rushed for 48 yards. Safety Joe Sturdivant bagged 9 offensive ball handlers. Not a bad group of guys on the Mustang team this year.

Two major disappointments, I would say, were allowing Cory Rodgers to return a kick off for 87 yards and a touchdown (the only one of the game for TCU), and of course the ever-so disappointing Mustang kicker Chris McMurtray.

I actually got to see most of this game, but missed a lot of the second quarter. If any key plays were missed in my write up, please forgive me. I call them only as I see (or saw) them. Thanks to Calvin Watkins for the added info.

SMU plays Texas A&M this coming Saturday. The Aggies lost to Clemson last week by a mere point. I also saw that game. I think we have comparable teams playing each other next week (to a point!), so the score may be close. I have not seen a line on this game yet, but I will give a wheels off prediction right now:

Texas A&M: 31; SMU: 24

I call the high scoring simply because of the offense on both sides of the ball. Both defenses seem to be doing OK, but neither compliment the other that well, thus the prediction for the high score (not too high, but compared to other predictions, mine is high)
That hurts some people, I know. Like I said, I must be realistic and a little hopeful at times!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home