Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Jack Ass Nominee #1


OK, my first nominee for Jack Ass of the month belongs to Neil Young. Why Neil Young? He has a huge part of the responsibility for shaping rock & roll history. With such hits as “Ohio” (done with Crosby, Stills & Nash), “Cinnamon Girl” and “Heart Of Gold”, Neil Young has been writing good songs and making good music for many, many years. Until recently, in my opinion.

His latest release is called ‘Living With War’. This is nothing more than a musical criticism of our leader, George W. Bush. Unimpressive to say the least. The gentlemen of The Ticket in Dallas played snippets of a few of the songs that they were able to find online. I listened, and thought to myself “Self, is Neil Young the name of another artist as well? This does not sound very good at all.” It was awful folks. Now in his defense, perhaps the other songs I didn’t hear were pretty good. That has yet to be determined. But back to my point: Neil Young was born in Toronto, raised in Winnipeg. Hmmm…


The title to one of the 10 songs on this disc is “Let’s Impeach The President”. Tell me, Mr. Canada, what good will that do? Would your boy John Kerry do better? Hillary McDuffie Rottinham Clinton?

While I have no problem with anyone having a political opinion, no matter how much I agree or disagree, I DO have a problem with people of foreign affair releasing things like this on American soil. Pick one single country in the world where they don’t have their political problems. I know. Harp on me about the 1st Amendment and how it sounds like I have a problem with it. NO I DON’T. I don’t have a problem with anyone expressing their opinions about our politics. I didn’t write about ‘Pink’ when she released the song ‘Dear Mr. President’. I didn’t write about the Dixie Chicks when they trashed Bush on live TV. Hell with it. My point is Neil Young’s actions would be the same if Jean-Pierre Raffarin did the same thing. Neil, you hate our president? Canada is still there Jack Ass.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Lance! Long time.... Hey, I agree with you 100%. This blog was not a shot on Canadians, believe me, I know quite a few myself from being in the courier business. I think they are all exceptionally nice as well. This isn't a shot against a particular political party either. To each his own, and I have no problem with that. Also, I mentioned that Neil young was a musical great (in so many words), and I still love his music from the past. My point was simply a foreign born citizen (who has the right to vote and voice his opinion) would ruin his fan base (potentially) by making a mass advertisemnt of his opinion via a CD! Young makes great music, but Lance, take a listen online and judge for yourself. I think you'd agree with me that he is capable of a lot better, both musically and lyrically. Agree with you also: Americans need not be so pissy about stuff.

3:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home