Sunday, September 18, 2005

NCAA Action


Wow! What a week for college football! Texas embarrassed Rice 51-10. SMU got smacked off of their high horse by A&M, 66-8. Tulsa didn't embarrass, beat or humiliate North Texas. They freaking annihilated them 54-2. OU loses AGAIN, this time to UCLA by a score of 41-24. I can go ON and ON and ON with scores, upsets and beatings, but I am going to focus the rest of this article on the college game of the week (in my opinion): Michigan State defeats Notre Dame.

This is a different story. I didn't get to see the game. I got to LISTEN to most of it (don't ask). Anyway, I know that Notre Dame had an excellent game yesterday. Personally, I am not a big supporter of either team, but Notre Dame was good. I know that Irish QB Brady Quinn passed for a school record five touchdowns and 487 yards. I know that they were losing by 21 points somewhere in the third quarter, and they made it all up by game's end, but not quite enough to scurry past Michigan State.

Michigan State's game winner (or sealer I should say) came from Jason Teague, who made a pretty nice run up the sideline for that touchdown, and QB Drew Stanton threw for three touchdowns and 327 yards and helped the team rack up 448 yards offensively. The Spartans also had a good game. It all came down to who was better in the end.

Michigan State has beaten the Irish on their own home turf five times in a row. That made Charlie Weis' home opener only the third one lost since 1913!! That had to hurt. Purdue is the only other team to rally against the Irish in South Bend so many times in a row. It was a sad loss for the Irish, considering a school record was broken, and the total amount of yards racked up were the second highest in school history.

All in all, this was a pretty good game, from what I got to listen to and see on highlight reels. Also, thanks to Tom Coyne for additional info on this game. I LOVE college football. I wish NFL was equally exciting! Speaking of... Bucs start playing in 8 minutes. Gotta go!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home